Wednesday, July 27, 2011

with silver bells and cockle shells

Lettuce was harvested for salad to accompany last night's meal.  It was, by far, the best lettuce I've had all year.  Naturally, I had to replace seeds for a future crop, something I have been very neglectful of and will suffer for when I have weeks without after enjoying what looks like a good dozen meals of the fresh stuff.

tomatoes, lettuces, peppers, and one interesting Japanese Eggplant
Moments of my time and with only one glove, 5 more salads were planted
 I subscribe to the square foot gardening method and for someone who prefers to get more bang for her buck, it really pays off.  There is little weeding, no thinning, easy watering and high yield.  Sadly, we did not get everything planted as early as I'd have liked this year, but I still have hopes for some decent produce.

Early in the spring, my husband began shoveling off the massive piles of river rock that qualify as landscaping around here and created a beautiful raised bed oasis next to our patio.
I swear, it cools off the patio just being there
None of this gardening nonsense keeps me from heading off to the farmers' market for this Wednesday's haul!
I see pickles

ok, so the apples came from Whole Paycheck yesterday, but I neeeeeed them for pectin
Off to figure out what to do with this pile o' produce!  Who knows, maybe just grill it all up for dinner.  I have a branzini fish I need to figure out what to do with anyway.  I really like to shop locally, but there is only so much trout a girl can eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment